Applying for Registration

In order to register as either a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech), applicants need to:

  • hold the appropriate grade of RAeS membership
  • satisfy both academic and competence requirements defined by the Engineering Council
  • attend a Professional Review Interview (PRI) (normally not required for EngTech applicants. Click on Professional Review and Interview for possible interview dates and locations.


Applications for registration (and/or membership) can be made online by clicking on Apply Now 

    For examples of completed Application Forms for Registration please scroll down to the bottom of this page.

    Step-by-Step Guide to Registration

    A Step-by-Step Guide to Registration with information on the process and the requirements for registration (including the academic requirements) is given in Appendix B of the Registration Handbook Appendices for Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Engineering Technician (EngTech).

    Appendix S of the Registration Handbook Appendices has a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding registration, including the important role of the referee.

    See also:


    Please click here for a list of frequently-asked questions relating to professional registration.

    UK-SPEC (3rd edition)

    Changes to the competence requirements for Chartered and Incorporated Engineers and Engineering Technicians were published by the Engineering Council in January 2014 in its document UK-SPEC (3rd edition).  Click to see UK-SPEC 3rd edition

    Military and MoD Civilian Applicants

    For specific guidance on the Military and MoD Civilian Routes to registration please click on Military Engineers.

    Academic Applicants

    Click here for specific Guidance Notes for Academic Applicants.


    Links to exemplar completed Application Form Qualifying Reports and Technical Tasks

    Please note: if you allow your membership and registration to lapse for 3 years or more it will be necessary to reapply, in compliance with Engineering Council requirements.


    Mentoring for Registration

    If you have a mentor or would like guidance on mentoring for registration, please click here for Guidance on Mentoring for Registration.

    Further Learning

    There are a number of study options available to meet Engineering Council academic requirements for Chartered and Incorporated Engineer:

    Details of all accredited degree programmes are given on the Engineering Council website:

    For the following, learning contracts are assessed on an individual basis: