Applying for Registration
In order to register as either a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech), you need to:
- hold the appropriate grade of RAeS membership
- satisfy both academic and competence requirements defined by the Engineering Council
- complete the appropriate application form for registration (and/or membership) as below:
- attend a Professional Review Interview (PRI) (normally not required for EngTech applicants. Click on Professional Review and Interview for possible interview dates and locations.
For examples of completed Application Forms for Registration please scroll down to the bottom of this page.
Step-by-Step Guide to Registration
A Step-by-Step Guide to Registration with information on the process and the requirements for registration (including the academic requirements) is given in Appendix B of the Registration Handbook Appendices for Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Engineering Technician (EngTech).
Appendix S of the Registration Handbook Appendices has a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding registration, including the important role of the referee.
Please click here for a list of frequently-asked questions relating to professional registration.
Changes to the competence requirements for Chartered and Incorporated Engineers and Engineering Technicians were published by the Engineering Council in January 2014 in its document UK-SPEC (3rd edition). Click to see UK-SPEC 3rd edition.
- Application forms on our website are now all based on UK-SPEC (3rd edition)
- Applications based on UK-SPEC (2nd edition) will continue to be accepted and processed until 4 August 2015 closing date
- All professional reviews will be conducted in line with UK-SPEC (3rd edition) from 1st November 2015
Military and MoD Civilian Applicants
For specific guidance on the Military and MoD Civilian Routes to registration please click on Military Engineers.
Click here for specific Guidance Notes for Academic Applicants.
Links to exemplar completed Application Form Qualifying Reports and Technical Tasks
Please note: if you allow your membership and registration to lapse for 3 years or more it will be necessary to reapply, in compliance with Engineering Council requirements.
Mentoring for Registration
If you have a mentor or would like guidance on mentoring for registration, please click here for Guidance on Mentoring for Registration.