The Society is a licensed body of the Engineering Council. Therefore if you are an engineering professional, you can apply through the Society for registration as an Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng).
EngTech: About e-book
IEng: About e-book
CEng: About e-book
Regardless of age, years in work or qualifications, registration is open to all engineering professionals who can demonstrate competence to perform professional work to the necessary standards, and commitment to:
- Maintain that competence
- Work within professional codes
- Participate actively within the profession
Depending on your career, you can apply to progress from one category of registration to the next as you move your grade of membership from one to the next.
Benefits of registration
- Identifying you as having competences that employers value
- Indicating that your competence and commitment to professionalism have been assessed by other engineering professionals
- Recognition that you have received education and training that meets UK and international standards for knowledge and experience
As a result, registrants often find that:
- it is easier to gain promotion or a new job
- their pay compares favourably with non-registered engineers and increasingly against other qualified professionals
- their employers benefit as, increasingly, tendering or post-tender contract compliance requires key members of the project team to have professional registration.
- they are more likely to be listened to, whether in the boardroom or the court
- their engineering credentials are respected in most parts of the world
Guidance on how to apply for registration
Military and MOD Civilian Applicants
The Society has a streamlined route to assist Military and MOD Civilians in applying for registration with the Engineering Council. For specific guidance on the Military and MOD Civilian Routes to registration please click on the streamlined route for Military Engineers.
Guidance for Academics
Click here for Guidance Notes for Academics.
EUR ING & IntPE Registration
UK registrants can also apply for registration as a European Engineer (EUR ING) or an International Professional Engineer (IntPE). For more information on how to apply click here.
View the EU Directive on Recognition of Qualifications.