An Associate is an Aeronautical or Aerospace professional who:
- holds a UK ordinary degree or international equivalent, OR
- holds a National/Scottish Vocational Qualification (NVQ/SVQ) Level 3 or equivalent, such as a BTEC National Certificate, along with two years’ practical training and one year’s experience at an appropriate level of responsibility, OR
- is a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer and holds a UK CAA Licence without type rating, or its an international equivalent, and has held the licence for two years OR
- has three years' appropriate experience
Exceptions may be made for those who have made outstanding contributions to Aeronautics or Aerospace.
For full details of the requirements for Associate, click see the Associate section of the Membership Handbook. (If you are unable to open PDF files, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a Word version of the guidance).
Non-members and upgrading members can apply online for Associate grade by clicking on Apply Now.
If you're already an Associate (ARAeS), add it to your LinkedIn profile to let your colleagues and peers know and proudly display your RAeS professional membership.
Applicants who hold an accredited degree that meets the academic requirement for engineering registration in full can also apply for Interim Registration for CEng or IEng as a stepping stone to gaining full Chartered or Incorporated Engineer registration.
You may also apply for Engineering Technician. Visit the pages on registration for details.
A paper application form for membership can be downloaded by clicking on Membership Application Form.
This grade is designed for Student Affiliate members who have been awarded their degree from 2011 and Apprentice Affiliate members who have successfully completed apprenticeship from 2011. The grade offers all the great benefits the Society has to offer, including the letters ARAeS after their name, for the very reasonable price of £46 for one year. After one year, e-Associates will automatically be upgraded to Associate of the Society.
Please note that you can only apply for e-Associate if you completed your apprenticeship from 2011 or graduated from 2011 with one of the following:
- an undergraduate degree
- an integrated masters’ degree
- a postgraduate degree
Please note that you should not apply for this grade if:
- You are currently studying full time
- You have obtained a BTEC
- You have obtained A-Levels
- You are currently on an Apprenticeship
Paper applications forms can be downloaded by clicking on Membership Application Form.
Please note that we still offer free Student Affiliate membership to all those studying full time. If you are continuing your studies, please complete the following form, and return it to email@example.com.